Friday, December 5, 2008

Clementine


Ah, the holiday season. When bells are singing, snow is falling, pipers are piping (apparently), and everyone is holly jolly. Around this time of year clementines come into season (or so i'm assuming because you can never find the fuckers at any other time of year) and many indulge in their sweet, oh so sweet juices. I am guilty of enjoying a clementine or two in my day and must admit I more than enjoy the size, flavour, satisfaction of peeling (Yes, peeling- in grade 3 I became fascinated with Sky MacLeod, the girl in our class who could peel a clementine's skin into a perfect spiral. I was extremely envious as mine always ended up in 100 little pieces despite how hard I tried to copy Ms MacLeod. Keep in mind I also didn't have the patience to colour in the lines in SK so it was probably just in my blood.) and all the other goodness that comes with this sweet treat. The one issue I have with clementines is seeds. Why do some have seeds while others are clean. It doesn't seem fair to give some that burden whilst their box-mates get to enjoy a seed-free life. Seeds ruin the entire experience for me. I hit one and the entire clementine is thrown out immediately. Sometimes im lucky enough to catch them before they're in my mouth in which case I simply discard the tainted piece, but it's when I find out too late- after it's already in my mouth- that i'm just ruined. Something about the seeds grosses me out, even though they're natural. So if I were to ask for one thing for Christmas it would be for Science to figure that out. Surely if they can clone sheep and bring us the iPhone they can figure out a way to abolish the clementine seed entirely.

No comments: