Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Boy Phase

My poor mother. At one point in her life she had an adorable 5 year girl old whose hair she could braid and whose nails she could paint:


For a whole year she had to deal with an adorable 10 year old boy who only cared about soccer and wearing baggy t-shirts:


I think it's about time I explained my boy phase. I guess I was a pretty sporty kid; in grade 4 we used to play soccer on the lower field (now that I think about it there was most definitely not an upper field but who's counting fields anyway..) every recess until there was too much snow on the ground. I guess we were the ultimate tom boys. Never wore girly things, never did girly things, never talked about girly things. In grade 4 Hanna came to our school and she had short hair. By the beginning of grade 5 Kelly had cut hers short too, then a bit later Sarah cut hers as well. I guess i'm just a big copy cat cause I was the last to go. I remember it so well, we went to the hair dresser and she cut off like half my hair. My mom made her stop at bob length and attempted to convince me that it was 'SO CUTE!' I clearly was not buying it as I was way to cool for 'cute' and forced the dude to cut it exactly like my brothers.

So there we were: 4 boys in school girl uniforms. Went straight to the boys section of Gap, wore boys bathing suits until mother nature took over, dared each other to pee in the boys bathroom, i'm pretty sure at one point we even picked out boy names and we were absolutely deathly allergic to pink (we actually told people this). My poor mother, she was constantly correcting innocent sales people and old friends when they complimented her on her gorgeous sons. I guess she decided to take action when at the beginning of grade 6 she bought me 2 bracelets. One was red and one was green. I thought they were the shit and immediately started wearing them every day. Soon after my friends who I had followed turned around and followed me all the way to pony tails, tank tops and even pink. I like to take all the credit for the conversion, but I guess I really owe it all to Kelly J for finally stepping up to the plate to get her daughter back on track.



(Sort-of. Grade 7 consisted of the same hairstyle every day: spice girls-esque, two buns on either side of my head. Matching clips on each side. Maybe i should have stuck with the boy thing...)

No comments: